School holidays with kids in Melbourne provides a great opportunity for kids and families to take a break from the usual routine and get outdoors to explore and enjoy the many sights, parks, activities and destinations that are at our door step. We are truly blessed to have such a diverse culture and environment with so such a variety of kids events on offer for children during the school holidays.
Looking for things to do with the kids during the school holidays? Eco Explorers runs a range of school holiday events and workshops, as well as nature play activities and resources (including free downloadables) to bring back a childhood filled with dirt, nature, messy play, adventure and excitement!
Our school holiday program includes sensory nature play workshops such as Bush Playgroup for children aged 1 – 6 years. This program allows children to completely immerse themselves in nature play activities, crafts, songs, stories and mindful bush walks with parents.
For slightly older children, aged 4 – 10 years we run our Bush Kids school holiday program which focuses on various environmental and outdoor themes and also introduces children to Forest School activities such as tools, whittling, navigation, bush survival and bushcraft skills. Led by experienced and qualified nature mentors. These programs are also with parents/carers present and run at various National Parks across Victoria.
ReWild Your Child Forest School
If you are looking for a full day school holiday program for your child where they spend the whole day in the bush then our ReWild Your Child Forest School holiday program is for them. Suitable for children aged 6 – 12 years, our school holiday program offers children a complete bush experience (rain, hail or shine!) and includes bush survival skills such as navigation and safety, bush walk, bushcraft activities such as tools, whittling, construction, building, rope knots, yabbying, fire skills, campfire cooking, eco art and craft, nature connection games, mindfulness in nature and much much more. Our ReWild Your Child Forest School holiday program is child led and we support your child’s interests. This program gives your child the opportunity to spend a full day being immersed in nature and it is transformative!
So if you are wondering what school holiday activities to do with kids in Melbourne then Eco Explorers has got it sorted!
The dates for Victorian school holidays are:
- Autumn school holiday dates in Victoria are Friday 7 April 2023 to Sunday 23 April 2023.
- Winter school holidays dates are Saturday 24 June to Sunday 9 July.
- Spring holidays dates are Saturday 16 September to Sunday 1 October.
- Summer holidays dates are Thursday 21 December to Monday 29 January 2024.
Kids School Holiday Activities & Inspiration
If you need inspiration for things to do over the school holidays with kids then check out our list of ideas and inspiration for school holiday activities and things to do below:
- Go for a nature scavenger hunt! (FREE printable HERE)
- Go on a backyard bug hunt
- Pratice some nature yoga & mindfulness
- Do some gardening with kids
- Do a nature colour scavenger hunt (FREE printable HERE)
- Downloadable our nature craft activity cards
- Build a native bee hotel
- Go outside and play with sticks!
- Complete our outdoor adventure challenge cards
- Get messy and muddy with mud play
- Check out our 20 nature play ideas for your backyard
- Go on a rockpool ramble with our rockpool ID cards
- Care for our environment with our earth day activities for kids
- Head to your local park & download our bird activity pack
- Go on a fungi scavenger hunt
- Download our beach bucket list here
- Go backyard camping!
- Rainy day? No problem! Check out our 50 Outdoor Play Ideas on Rainy Days … outdoors of course!
Things to do in the Melbourne with kids school holidays
- Visit some of Victoria’s BEST rockpools to visit with kids
- Visit Warburton with kids
- Explore 15 Kid Friendly Bush Walks in Victoria
- Explore the Mornington Peninsula with kids
- Check out our top things to do with kids in Phillip Island
- Check out our top bush walks, creeks and nature spaces in Melbourne’s West
- Top things to do with kids in Noojee